Thursday, 23 June 2016

Hosteller Decals

Got the decals on today.  I was really nervous about doing it but they went on fairly easily.  I've made a bit of a pigs ear of the lacquer coat over the top, too heavy handed again, but rescuable I think.

Sunday, 19 June 2016


I didn't get to Eroica after all, it seemed best to leave it given my health at the moment.  Maybe next year.

Anyway, the Ian Steel is pretty much finished.

At some point I need to swap the cranks and bottom bracket, I need a longer bottom bracket axle to fit the original.  The front wheel bearings are a bit rough as well, I could do with stripping and re-greasing them. 

Then I need to decide whether to leave it as it is or trying to get it back to the original spec.

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Nearly There

Just handlebar tape to do.  At some point I'll have to get a longer cottered bottom bracket axle and swap out the cranks.  Due to my health I won't be able to ride at the weekend Eroica, but hopefully we'll go for the Saturday and show it off.

The Hosteller is still waiting on decals.

Tuesday, 7 June 2016

And More

Headset, stem and brakes fitted...

Monday, 6 June 2016

More Ian Steel Build

Headset sort of added, plus bottom bracket and shifter...

Friday, 3 June 2016

Ian Steel

Got my Viking Ian Steel back from Rourke's the other day.  Just unpacked it, not done any build up yet, but it looks fantastic.

Tuesday, 31 May 2016


My medication is starting to get effective,  I can actually sit still without getting short of breath.   So I thought I'd get on with the Hosteller.   Painting is an ideal job actually as its ten minutes of activity followed by ten minutes rest, just about what I can manage.

The forks were pretty clean, so, after a final rub down with some 320 grade wet and dry and a whipe with a clean rag & white spirit, I put an immediate acid etch primer coat on.  This seemed to go quite well.

A second coat had it ready for the colour.

The frame was quite badly pitted and still had some surface rust.  I'd given it a good sanding but decided to treat it with a rust treatment.   Once this was done it was ready for the primer.

I'm just using Halfords rattle can paint.  Its a bit mixed quality wise, one can was very watery and drippy, I managed to splash wet paint over the frame when shaking the can between sprays.  The second can seemed to go on much better.  I've got a few coats of the forks and a good first coat on the frame, but need to flatten back and redo the frame with a few more coats.