Sunday 10 January 2010

Winter is still here

We are still in the grasp of some pretty chilly weather, well at least for round here.  I rode in on Monday.  It was pretty cold, below zero, but fairly dry.  Tuesday brought snow.  we never get snow here, certainly not 3 or 4 inches that fell on Tuesday morning.  Jayne’s school was closed, Jamie’s college bus didn’t come.  I worked from homer til they were home then rode in on my mountain bike.  On the fresh snow, it wasn’t too slippy and I got in with only a few scares.  I left early to get home before it got too dark.  Wasn’t too bad on the way home, appart from overtaking cars blasting me with slush and the hail/sleet flurry just before I got in.

I stayed at home on Wednesday, but intended to go in Thursday.  Unfortunately, my car wouldn’t start.  I put the battery on charge and stayed at home.  Karl rang to see if we were still on for our usual Thursday night ride.  We’ve not been since the week before Christmas, so I said yes, despite the snow.  We decided that Ian and Karl would drive round to my house and we’d ride out from here, just round some of the quieter lanes.  The roads were like glass, but on the off-roads tracks it was great.  Ian took a tumble on a particularly icy bit, going down quite hard.  We got onto some quieter roads that had seen less traffic and therefore had less ice and more snow.  It was brilliant.  Then we got to the pub and it was closed because their heating had failed.  We went off-road to get home, Ian taking another tumble, trying to get his foot unclipped on another icy bit.  The last section was down through snowy fields and was great.  Apart from a stile where I slipped as I was lifting my bike over and broke my light bracket.  For the rest of the way, I had to hold the light and steer one handed.  A great night out, finished off with beer and bacon butties at home.

Friday I chickened out again and went in the car.  I drove out to our usual Friday swift pint at the Villa, and was roundly condemned by the regulars for not riding.

It is still icy and set to be cold for a week or so more.

Weekly miles – 36

Total miles – 45

Cheers

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment